Poached Apples called Tufahija are a great way to end our Bosnian meal. They are served cold with some whipped cream and they are stuffed with walnuts and raisins which is a wonderful combination with the apple. An easy to make ahead dessert.
- 4 medium apples any type you like
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 lemon juice of
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- In a large enough saucepan to hold the four apples, add enough sugar and water to cover the apples, add more using the same ratio if necessary.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for a few minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add in the lemon juice.
- Peel and core the apples. Reserve the peel
- Add the apples to the simmering syrup, simmer until they are tender about 10 minutes.
- Remove the apples and let cool
- Add the reserved peelings to the syrup and continue simmering until the syrup is reduced by half.
- Remove the peelings and allow the syrup to cool.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts and mix in the raisins.
- Stuff the apples and serve with syrup and whipped cream on top.