This poke salad from Palau is made with locally grown ingredients as well as fresh ahi tuna from the pristine ocean that surrounds the islands. It could easily be made with any other fish that is super fresh and sashimi grade as it will be consumed raw. Other popular fish are wahoo, mahi-mahi, and yellowtail.
Poke is pronounced Po-KAY not poke or PO-KEE, originated in the Hawaiian Islands. The fact that this is popular in Palau is not at all surprising as they are both tropical islands and Palau has many ties with the USA. Poke typically is served over rice, which is also delicious. This poke salad is lighter, and made for a lovely starter for our International Cuisine meal.
Poke salad is such a refreshing treat it can easily be made into a light summer meal. This poke salad is dressed with light soy sauce, sesame oil, lime and a hint of chili powder for some heat, plus some black sesame seeds for a bit of texture. The result is spectacular. Unlike sashimi, the fish is cut into bite sized cubes as opposed to slices and the rest of ingredients should be cut into similar sizes.
Feel free to add whatever ingredients you like. When you go to a poke restaurant, which have popped up all over southern California, you can choose from a variety of fish and toppings. One that I also love, is seaweed salad, that would be a lovely addition. You can also add a bit of heat with some mayonnaise, and sirachi one of my favorite,s on a poke bowl. If you don’t like raw fish, try it with some cooked shrimps or octopus.
Did you know that the Rock Islands in Palau which are forest-like limestone knobs are listed as a UNESCO world heritage site as is the lagoon in which they surround. Want to learn more about the country of Palau plus get more great recipes, be sure to check out “Our Journey to Palau“.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Poke salad Palau
- 1 lb Ahi Tuna Sashimi grade or any other fresh fish you like
- 2 Baby cucumbers Peeled, seeded and cut into bite size pieces
- 12 Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 Shallot cut into small pieces
- 4 Scallions chopped finely
- 1 Avocado cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup pea sprouts
- 1 lime squeezed
For the Dressing
- 6 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 3 Tbsp Soy sauce low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds black
- In a jar with a lid mix together all the dressing ingredients and set aside
- In a large bowl, add all the poke ingredients listed above except for the lime which you can squeeze over the ingredients before you dress the salad. Mix all together
- Shake the jar of the dressing and pour over the salad. Gently mix so all the ingredients are well covered. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Try a bite and add whatever you think it needs, if anything.