Red rice is native to Bhutan and just recently available in the states through Lotus foods. It has a nutty flavor that is quite different from any other rice I have had. When you make it, please be sure to thoroughly clean it before cooking. I would recommend soaking it, even overnight and then strain and rinse before cooking. It appears the cooking time and liquid amounts are longer and higher than the package suggests. I doubled the liquid and cooked about. 1 and a half times, just check it once in a while until tender.
Chum - Bhutanese Red Rice
- 1 cup Bhutanese red rice
- 2 1/4 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Season with zest of an orange and Szechuan pepper to taste
- In a saucepan bring the water and salt to a boil.
- Add in the rice stir to combine then cover and simmer over low heat until water is absorbed.
- Rice will still have a little crunch when done, yet will be tender.
- Season with a little zest of an orange and some szechuan pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side to ema datshi.