Russian Blinis are little buckwheat pancakes that are typically served with sour cream and a generous spoonful of sturgeon caviar. The best caviar in the world comes from the Caspian and Black Seas, both of which have shores with Russia. These high end delights are served with chilled vodka and sometimes champagne.
Blini is also a term used for crepes and this batter could certainly be used for that purpose as well. Often times the crepes are much larger and thinner and filled with either sweet or savory fillings.
For our purposes we made these delightful Russian blinis as our starter. They make an immediate impression of class. Good caviar is quite expensive you can pick some up here if you can’t find it locally. It is one of my favorite things in the world. Some say it is an acquired taste but I really don’t understand that. It is simply a heavenly bite! Russian blinis are sometimes served also with Salmon roe as well as smoked salmon. Additionally, you can use creme fraiche instead of sour cream for a lighter cream.
These Russian blinis are surprisingly easy to make, if you can make a pancake you can make blinis. The recipe make about 45 blinis so you can half the recipe depending on how many you need.
If you would like to learn more about this most intriguing country of Russia be sure to check out “Our Journey to Russia“, here you will also find more authentic and delicious Russian recipes.
Have you ever tried caviar? If you have I would love to hear your description of it in the comments below. Also, if you choose to make this delicious blini appetizer, please send me a picture of it, and let me know how you liked it.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Russian Blinis topped with sour cream and caviar are the perfect way to start any meal!
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk warm
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
- 1/4 cup caviar or salmon roe
- 8 oz. smoked salmon
- In a bowl, combine flours, yeast and salt.
- Add warm milk and egg yolks. Whisk until smooth.
- Cover with a tea towel.
- Let rest for about 1 hour in a warm place.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in meringue, using a whisk.
- In a lightly buttered skillet, pour a little batter at a time to form small pancakes, about 2-inches in diameter.
- Cook for about 1 minute or until small holes form at the surface of the batter.
- Turn blini over and cook for about 1 more minute. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Garnish each blini with ½ teaspoon of sour cream and ¼ teaspoon of fish roe and/ or smoked salmon.
- Serve blinis at room temperature with some chilled vodka or champagne