Singaporean chili crab is a beloved dish. It is rich, spicy and tangy and absolutely delicious. The flavors truly come together like magic. It is surprisingly easy to make at home and you really should. This Singaporean chili crab will become one of your family’s favorites.
You will want to use Dungeness or mud crab for this recipe. It is best if you can buy fresh live crab and have your fish monger clean it for you and remove the top plate. I highly recommend that you keep the creamy part inside the top shell for the extra crab flavor that it imparts.
Singaporean chili crab is often served with steamed buns which you can find at your local Asian market. They are perfect to sop up the unbelievable chili sauce.
You will also want to serve it with crab crackers and picks to get out those delicious pieces of crab meat. I use these cute red ones you can pick up on Amazon here. The colors of Singapore are red and white, so they are perfect for this dish.
If you need help to cut up your crab, this is a wonderful tutorial that will guide you. It is by chef steps. Additionally, I used the ABC brand chili sauce and I found the flavors excellent. You can pick some up here if you have trouble finding it.
I think you will absolutely love this Singaporean chili crab recipe. If you are looking for some more great Singaporean recipes be sure to check out the National dish called Hainanese chicken rice and why not have some pandan chiffon cake for dessert?
I had the pleasure of trying this dish at the famous Jumbos Restaurant in Singapore and I believe this recipe is equally good. Have you had Singaporean chili crab in Singapore? Please let me know how you think it compares!
Did you know that chewing gum in Singapore is against the law? They have some unique laws which may be why it is one of the cleanest and lowest crime countries in the world. Be sure to check out “Our Journey to Singapore” to learn more.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Singaporean Chili Crab
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 7 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 shallots minced
- 1 1/2-inch knob ginger grated
- 6 meduium garlic cloves minced
- 4 Thai chilies minced
- 2 whole Mud or Dungeness crabs cleaned and cut into pieces
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup hot-sweet chili sauce
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 8 Steamed Chinese buns
- In small bowl, stir cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water; set aside.
- In large wok with lid, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Stir in shallots, ginger, garlic, and chilies.
- Cook until fragrant, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add crab pieces and broth.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Cover loosely and gently boil, until crab has turned red and is nearly cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in tomato paste and chili sauce.
- Simmer 1 minute.
- Stir in cornstarch and bring to boil to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in egg.
- Stir in green onions.
- Ladle into serving dish
- Sprinkle with flat-leaf parsley, and serve.