Squash blossoms has to be one of my favorite appetizers for summer. The squash blossoms are so beautiful and it just always seems like such a treat to eat an edible flower. The blossom is a vessel that could be stuffed with just about anything imaginable. This however is by far my favorite way to prepare them, simple and guaranteed to be a hit. (I have yet to meet anyone that didn't love it).
I am so fortunate to have a beautiful garden which is where I go to get my blossoms, they are best picked when the zucchini or squash is small with a nice big blossom attached. I have seen them at many farmers markets and even some grocery stores. I hope you can find some, fair warning, they are very addicting! Delicious!
- 8 squash blossoms with squash attached
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 8 basil leaves chopped
- sparkling water
- oil for frying canola or olive
- Gently open the blossom (they will usually tear slightly, they are very delicate that is okay) Check to make sure that there are no ants in the blossom (they love them)
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese and chopped basil leaves.
- Using a spoon or easier yet is to put the cream cheese mixture in a piping bag or simply cut the corner of a small ziplock baggie and squeeze about 2 tablespoons into each blossom.
- Twist the top of the blossom to seal the mixture inside.
- In a bowl or on a small plate pour some sparkling water and in another bowl or small plate add some flour.
- Dip the stuffed blossom first into the sparkling water and then the flour so it gets nice and coated all the way around. Repeat until all the blossoms are floured and ready for frying.
- Put some oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan and heat to medium high.
- Fry the blossoms turning once, you want to cook until the squash is tender, taking care the oil is not too hot to burn the blossom. (about 5 minutes a side)
- Carefully remove from the oil, the blossom gets a bit heavy in the process with the cheese so use a spatula to remove them.
- Drain on a paper towel and serve warm.
- Savor your creation!