This is a lovely recipe that comes from the remote islands of Oceania like, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu. Of course tuna is a common fish caught in the Pacific Ocean and this is a wonderful recipe to prepare it. It has a bit of spice and it has a wonderful sauce made with coconut milk. One can just imagine enjoying this on a palm lined pristine beach.
I love these recipes that cook up in a jiffy and in one pot, and this is one of them. Please make sure to use really fresh tuna and do not overcook it. It actually tastes amazing if slightly under cooked. You will love it. One interesting ingredient in this dish is cucumber that is cooked, it was surprisingly good although I must admit, I had never had it cooked before, have you?
Did you know that the nation of Tuvalu actually makes most of its revenue from its internet country code being .tv? It turns out that domain has become very popular with all the new streaming services. Not bad for a small country of only 11,000 people.
If you would like to learn more about the remote island nations, be sure to check out “Our Journey to Solomon Islands and Tuvalu. There you will also find more authentic recipes to go with your tuna coconut curry like palusami, taro root chips, and coconut pudding.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Tuna Coconut Curry
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Thai bird chili peppers
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and cut lengthwise, julienne style
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lb tuna steaks, raw cut into cubes
- Heat up the coconut oil in a wok or skillet
- Cook the onions over medium-high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add in the ginger, garlic, red chilies and curry powder, reduce heat and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the coconut milk, green onion and cucumber
- Add in the soy sauce and stir to combine
- Add in the tuna cubes and cook until desired preference. Do not overcook.
- Serve with coconut rice, or regular steamed rice.