Coconut pudding is a super quick and easy recipe to make. I actually think it is more like a jello than a pudding. It is very tasty and would be perfect for hot summer day on the beach. I served it in a coconut shell for a unique presentation.
Coconuts are abundant on both of these island nations, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu. You can of course make the coconut pudding using fresh coconut milk which would be most authentic or you can also make it with canned coconut milk. Sometimes opening a coconut can be a bit intimidating but the truth is if you use a corkscrew and poke one of the eyes you can remove the water. Then you can give the coconut a good whack with the back side of sturdy clever and it will crack right open. If you want to remove the flesh of the coconut this tool comes in very handy.
Did you know that Tuvalu is the least visited country in the world? It is quite remote and may be one of the first to go under the sea due to climate change. If you would like to learn more about these countries be sure to check out "Our Journey to Solomon Islands and Tuvalu"
If you are looking for more authentic Oceania recipes be sure to check out my other recipes Taro Root Chips, Palusami, and Tuna Coconut Curry.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Coconut Pudding (A Sweet Island Dessert)
- 2 14 0z Cans Coconut Milk unsweetened
- 1/2 Cup cornstarch
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Coconuts Cut in half for serving
- In a medium size saucepan add in all the ingredients and cook over medium high heat.
- Stir constantly until the sugar and cornstarch is dissolved.
- Keep stirring until the mixture starts to boil, thicken and is smooth.
- Remove from heat and place in a covered bowl into the refrigerator for about 1 hour until chilled.
- When you are ready to serve prepare your coconuts if using as a serving vessel.
- Scoop the coconut pudding into the coconuts and serve.