Warm potato salad called kartoffelsalat is a wonderful side to serve with the National Dish Wiener Schnitzel. This warm salad is different from what you are likely accustomed to, as it has no mayonnaise in the recipe. Cook like the Austrians do and get the creaminess simply from the potatoes. Use a starchy potato like Yukon Gold for this recipe.
Kartoffelsalat (Warm Potato Salad)
- 2 lbs. potatoes peeled cut into slices about ½ inch thick.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar separated
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 red onion chopped finely
- 6 cornichons or baby dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottomed skillet add the sliced potatoes, broth, water, salt, sugar and 1 Tablespoon of the vinegar to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Remove the cover and increase the heat to high to reduce the liquid (approx. 2 minutes)
- Drain the potatoes reserving ½ cup of cooking liquid
- Add water to make ½ cup if necessary.
- Whisk in the remaining vinegar, mustard and oil into the cooking liquid
- Add about ½ cup of the cooked potatoes into the cooking liquid and mash.
- Pour the thickened sauce over the potatoes and add in the onion, cornichons and chives
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve warm or at room temperature