This traditional Burkina Faso main dish recipe is made with chicken thighs in a delicious coconut milk sauce flavored with peanut butter and tomato puree. It is a lovely main dish. Served with simply mashed sweet potatoes, the result is a moist, tender and delicious meal. Serve also with some Burkina Faso French beans. Awesome!
Did you know that Burkina Faso was colonized by the French who named the country Upper Volta? French is also the official language. If you would like to learn more about this African country be sure to check out “Our journey to Burkina Faso” Also be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world, so you don’t miss a thing.
Craving more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing. It’s free and you can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Cuisses de Poulet a la Puree de Patates Douces (Chicken Thighs with Mashed Sweet Potatoes)
A creamy and very flavorful sauce is poured over the perfectly cooked chicken thighs. Serve it with some mashed sweet potatoes for a real treat!
- 4 chicken thighs skinless and deboned
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 small hot chili cut the long way
- 1 lime juice of
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- Salt to taste
- In a frying pan with a lid, brown the chicken thighs, if necessary add a little oil to brown.
- When they are nicely browned add in 1 cup of water, the ginger, and chili season with salt to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer cover and cook for 15 minutes
- Bring a sauce pan of salted water to a boil and add in the sweet potatoes, cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- When the chicken thighs have cooked for 15 minutes, dilute the peanut butter and tomato paste in the coconut milk. Stir in the lime juice and add this to the chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. If necessary you can add water to dilute the sauce, and season with salt to taste.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and mash them with a potato masher or fork, season with salt to taste.
- To plate, put the mashed sweet potatoes on a platter and surround it with the chicken, serve with extra sauce.