This Chad salad was a delicious starter for our meal, a wonderful vegetarian dish that has a really nice spicy, honey and lemon dressing. The combination of cucumber with bananas was certainly different but the cucumber added a perfect texture and the bananas a nice sweetness along with the raisins. This unique Chad salad would be a great side dish to any meal.
Clearly the pairing of cucumbers and bananas seems like a very strange combination, but we really liked it. Served also with brown rice, raisins and almonds, it was the spiced up dressing with honey that really made the salad come all together. What is the weirdest pairing of items you have tried and loved. This would be right up there on my list as a unique combination. I remember making another brown rice recipe that had tomatoes, onions, peanut butter and bananas in it. My husband said he wouldn’t eat it, it turned out to be a dish he requests often. My point is you just never know until you try. This Chad salad is one of those recipes.
I love this Chadian proverb: ” If you always walk down the same path, you’ll go where you’ve already been.” If you would like to learn more about this African nation be sure to check out “Our Journey to Chad“.
Craving more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world at, Internationalcuisine.com, so you don’t miss a thing. It’s free. You can also find me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and Youtube, to follow along on our incredible journey.
Salade Du Tchad (Chad Salad)
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 bananas
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 Tablespoon almonds chopped
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Wash the rice thoroughly then cook following package instructions.
- Once cooked set aside to cool.
- Slice the cucumber finely then peel and slice the bananas.
- Combine the rice, cucumber, bananas, raisins and almonds in a salad bowl.
- Mix gently to combine.
- For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, spices and honey in a bowl.
- Pour this dressing over the salad ingredients. Toss to mix then chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.