Falooda is a delicious milk based sweet drink that is very popular after a meal in Myanmar.
This drink has many elements to it, the first being a bread pudding. It also has rose syrup and milk as part of the mix along with some gelatin. Add in a few tablespoons of pearl tapioca, some sweet basil seeds and a scoop of ice cream and then you have falooda.
I loved this sweet dessert drink.
Not only is it delicious with all sorts of interesting textures, it is a pretty pink color too.
- Ingredients for the bread pudding
- 4 slices white bread crust off
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup small sago or tapioca pearls
- 1 Tablespoon basil seeds
- Jello in two colors buy pre-made cups or cans or make your own following package directions
- 4 cups whole milk
- 6 Tablespoons rose syrup
- Vanilla Ice cream
- To make the bread pudding
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a glass pan
- Tear the bread into 2 inch pieces put in the glass pan
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, and milks then pour over the bread.
- combine well into the bread
- Bake for about 40 minutes until golden and remove.
- While the bread pudding is baking prepare the other ingredients.
- Fill a saucepan 1/2 way with water and bring to a boil, When the water is boiling add in the sago and boil them for 1 minute. Transfer everything to a heat-safe bowl and cover with foil.
- Let sit for 45 minutes. They should be firm and transparent. Drain them and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- For the Basil seeds, simply soak in 2 cups of water for at least 10 minutes.
- Drain then set aside.
- In a saucepan boil the milk, reduce to low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes stirring often.
- Add in the rose syrup. Stir well.
- Let mixture cool in the refrigerator until ready to use
- Cut the jello into small pieces.
- To prepare the falooda
- In tall glasses
- Put in a few spoonfuls of the the two colors of jello
- Next divide the bread pudding between the four glasses
- Add in the sago and basil seeds
- Add in the rose milk
- Add in some crushed ice cubes if it is really warm outside
- Lastly a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Serve with a spoon.
- In a large glass