Indonesian Dadar Gulung is a lovely dessert that is basically a pancake flavored with the pandan leaf that wraps around a mixture of caramelized coconut. Palm sugar was used to caramelize the coconut and It was tempting to eat it out of the pan. A lovely way to end our Indonesian meal. The pandan leaf does add a unique flavor to the dish. You can find them at your local Asian store often times in the freezer section.
Indonesian Dadar Gulung (Caramelized Coconut Pancakes)
- 250 ml fresh milk
- 35 gm white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 gm salt
- 2 Tbs Pandan Juice
- 75 gm flour
- 25 gm melted butter
- 150 gm fresh grated coconut
- 100 gm palm sugar
- 75 ml water
- 1 gm salt
- small piece of pandan leaf
- Combine all the ingredients for the pancake in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk ingredients well.
- Strain any residual lumps if necessary.
- Heat a non stick pan and brush with extra butter.
- Ladle pancake mixture into the pan until the bottom is thinly covered.
- Flip when ready.
- Once cooked, set aside and repeat until the mixture is finished.
- Place the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the saucepan and cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and discard cooked pandan leaf.
- Place equal portions of filling in each pancake.
- Roll the crepe into a parcel and garnish with fresh pandan leaves.