Italian Tiramisu is a magical dessert. It literally means “pick me up.” It is light, yet rich and simply heaven. It is surprisingly easy to make using store bought lady fingers. The coffee flavored dessert is extremely popular in Italy and is a staple on most Italian dessert menus all over the world. If you are going to splurge on a dessert, this one is truly worth it. It is layered with coffee and rum dipped lady fingers ,whipped cream, and then a mascarpone custard and then repeated. It is then topped with some cocoa powder. Deliciouso!
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee room temperature
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 3 ounce packages ladyfinger cookies
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise and drizzle with coffee mixture.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7x11 inch dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set.