Kenyan Biskuti ya nazi are delightful coconut macaroons. They are sweet little morsels that were the perfect ending to our Kenyan meal. They are really easy to make. Coconut and nuts are used to flavor them. Desserts are not all that popular in Kenya. Often times just fruit is enjoyed at the end of a meal. We savored these sweet treats with some chai (tea). The chai is made Indian style but the tea ritual is certainly a British influence. These coconut macaroons make a great dessert for any occasion.
Kenyan Biskuti ya nazi (Coconut Macaroons)
- - 2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- - 1 cup cashew or macadamia nuts
- - 1 cup granulated sugar
- - 3 egg whites
- - some butter for greasing the baking sheet
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg. F
- Lightly grease two baking sheets with butter
- In a bowl and beat the egg whites with the electric mixer on high until there are soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar.
- Make sure to beat after each addition until the peaks are glossy.
- Finely chop the nuts.
- Add them along with the coconut to the mixture.
- Wet your hands and put the mixture on the baking sheets in rounds or use a small round scoop.
- Bake them until they are lightly golden (this takes about 20-25 minutes).
- Cool them.
- Store in an air-tight container.