Kenyan Madras is an amazing mango chutney that is really easy to make and its uses are endless. This is often found served as a side sauce to the very popular street food called Bajias which are yummy seasoned, battered and fried potatoes. Both are influenced by the Indians who were sent there to work on the railroad. Indian style foods are loved in Kenya and Madras is no exception. This sauce is not limited to mango, one could use papaya, carrots, coconuts etc. You get the idea use what you have on hand or simply love. You will love this easy to make, healthful chutney.
Kenyan Madras Mango Chutney
- 1 unripe or ripe mango
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1/2 red onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ripe tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander chopped finely
- 1/2 green pepper
- 2 hot chilies or more if you like it spicy
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients except the salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and mix until it is thick and everything is nicely incorporated together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Keep the chutney in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Excellent as a dipping sauce for bajias.