Kosovo Avjar is a staple found on nearly every table in Kosovo, especially during the autumn months. This delicious roasted red pepper spread has many uses but one of the best is simply spread on a delicious piece of Pitalke bread, or any bread for that matter. The peppers, often times a combination of hot and sweet along with a little eggplant, are roasted before they are cooked down. The result is a smoky deliciousness. This recipe makes only one small jar of avjar. Feel free to double etc. if you want to make more. Enjoy!
Kosovo Avjar (Roasted Red Pepper Spread)
- 2 lbs red bell peppers or mix of hot and sweet to your liking
- 1 eggplant
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast peppers on a grill or over a fire.
- Cook until the skin on the bell peppers blacken and blister, cook the eggplant until fork tender and if using hot peppers just till the skin bubbles.
- Place everything in a plastic bag or run under cold water to remove the skin adn seeds
- In a pot, add the peppers, eggplant, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper and oil.
- Simmer over very low heat for a few hours. Stir occasionally so that the moisture evaporates and you are left with a beautiful spread.
- Put into a sterile glass container and refrigerate
- It will last several weeks in the refrigerated
- Serve with bread