Lebanese labneh sometimes spelled labne is a delicate soft cheese made from yogurt. It has a bit of a lemony flavor and is served in a bowl with some olive oil or made into balls, rolled into spices like za’atar, dried mint or sumac and place in a container with olive oil.
This cheese is light and delicious served as part of a mezze but always with some bread like pita. The cheese is used as a spread or a dip and totally worth the time to make.
Lebanese Labneh (Soft Yogurt Cheese)
- 16 cups plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- garnish with dried mint leaves sumac or za'atar
- Line a large colander with a cheesecloth. Stir salt and lemon juice into the yogurt, and pour the yogurt into the cheesecloth. Set the colander in the sink or bowl to catch the liquid that drains off. Leave to drain for 24 hours or if making into balls let it drain 48 hours
- After draining for the 24 hours, transfer the resulting cheese to a bowl. Stir in the olive oil. or if after 48 hours make into balls roll in spices like dried mint, za'atar or sumac, put into a container and pour in olive oil Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.