Lyuti Chusnki is what Bulgarians call marinated vegetables.
These are loved by the Bulgarians and almost every family has their favorite marinade recipe.
A wonderful way to preserve an abundance of peppers.
You can use the pepper that is most to your liking from a heat perspective.
They will get a bit spicier with time in the marinade I used jalapenos for this recipe and it was just the right amount of heat for me, you could try a serrano, Fresno, colored banana chili, you get the idea.
These spicy treats would make a great addition sliced and added to the Bulgarian Shopska salad.
Lyuti Chusnki (Roasted and marinated chili peppers)
- 10-12 Peppers of your choice -Jalapenos were used here
- 3 carrots grated
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 bunch fresh dill chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon apple vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- In a bowl, combine the honey , olive oil, vinegars and whisk until well combined. Add in the grated carrots, garlic and chopped dill. Mix all together and add salt to taste.
- Set marinade mixture aside
- Roast the peppers- This can be done by holding the peppers with tongs over a gas flame on your stove or it can be done on a BBQ, this just takes a minute, on each side. You want the flesh to turn black with grill marks but to stay intact.
- Put your roasted peppers into the marinade, mix all together and cover.
- Refrigerate for several hours to several days, these treats get spicier and better with time.
- You can always can a few jars for safe keeping.
- Serve chilled with some bread and Bulgarian salami like Lukanka