Mexican seafood cocktail called campechana is typically found on a street cart in the coastal areas of Mexico. This delicious seafood cocktail is served with the broth that the fish is cooked in. The seafood is typically shrimp, octopus, squid, scallops and sometimes oysters. It is flavored with a little lime juice, vegetable juice and some heat from some chopped jalapenos, onions and sprinkled with some fresh cilantro. It is often served in a large cup with a spoon. This recipe is quite easy to make especially if you can find a seafood blend that you like, they are often available in the freezer section of your super market, or else just pick up the individual ingredients. This is a one of my favorite things!
Mexican Seafood Cocktail (Campechana)
- 2 lbs of seafood like octopus shrimp, squid, scallops, oysters etc. any mix you like
- alternatively just get a seafood blend often found in the freezer section of your grocery store.
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 4 limes juice of
- 2 cups vegetable juice or clamato
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red onion diced finely
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 jalapenos chopped finely
- Bring about 5-6 cups of water with a little salt to a boil
- Add in the seafood blend and cook for about 10 minutes
- Drain but reserve the broth, place the seafood in a bowl
- To 4 cups of the reserved broth add the vinegar, lime juice, and vegetable juice along with the cumin and mix all together.
- Add the chopped onion, jalapenos and cilantro to the seafood mix and mix all together.
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Put a about 1/2 cup of seafood in a cup and fill it up with the broth.
- Serve with some extra lime and saltine crackers for a real delicious treat!