Sao Tome clams in port wine is awesome. It is so easy to make and good for you too. It is very Portuguese to add in port wine, which they are famous for. After all, they are the ones who founded the nation of Sao Tome and Principe.
This dish has some great elements to it, I loved the addition of the peanuts which supplied a nice textural contrast to the chewy clams. I kept some of the clams in the shell for presentation however you should shell them and chop the majority of them. The flavor of the sauce with the port wine was rich and delicious. The addition of the spinach and tomatoes add some nice nutrition. We enjoyed it simply served over steamed white rice with a side of crusty toasted bread. It truly was a quick and easy main dish, I will make again and again.
Did you know that the Portuguese had to figure out a way to inhabit their newly discovered islands? Initially they brought in what they considered “undesirables” from Portugal. They needed even more workers, so they started importing slave labor from the mainland of Africa. It is a mixed race of Portuguese and Africans called mestizos, that make up the Independent nation today.
If you would like to learn more about this tiny two island nation, please be sure to check out “Our Journey to Sao Tome and Principe”. There you will also find more authentic recipes that you will also love. Be sure to try the Sao tome Sausage Sandwich and a lovely dessert called banana bolo.
I also would like to thank my husband Dan for making these cool new dishes to use in our food photography. I think they look amazing, don’t you?
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Sao Tome Clams in Port Wine (Matata)
A super quick and easy recipe you will make again and again.
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups clams in their juice
- 1 cup Port wine
- 1 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced into small pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach chopped
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart sauce pan. Add onions and saute until soft.
- Add clams and port wine, bring to quick boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Add peanuts, tomatoes, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach and cover just until leaves have wilted.
- Serve over steamed white rice.