An absolutely delicious side dish from Angola that has a clear Portuguese influence. I would have never thought to pair these flavors together however it is a hit. I will make this one often. Sometimes trying new things brings happiness and this one is sure to do just that. Really, try it!
Arroz Integral com Mantiega de Amendoim e Bananas ( Brown Rice with Peanut Butter and Fried Bananas)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green and red pepper
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 medium banana you can use regular bananas ripe but still firm or plantains-ripe and black
- Pour the brown rice, tomato juice and 1 cup of water in a 2-quart pot over high heat.
- When mixture comes to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is done (45-50 minutes)
- Meanwhile, slice onions and green and red peppers and sauté in ¼ cup peanut oil until onions are soft.
- Add curry powder, salt and pepper, mix well, heat for 1 minute
- Add ¼ cup water, tomatoes and peanut butter.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Peel banana and cut into ½ inch slices.
- In another fry pan saute the sliced banana in a little peanut oil until lightly golden on both sides.
- To serve, place the rice in a serving platter, pour the onion sauce over the rice and top with fried bananas.