Afghanistan grows many things which includes all the ingredients in this dish. Eggplants, and tomatoes and cilantro are a wonderful combination. Add in those spices and you have an incredible dish. It is layered like a lasagna.
The flavors meld together beautifully while baking and it turns out almost like an eggplant stew. Perfect to scoop up with some naan bread. My husband who is not a big fan of eggplant loved this dish.
This was the dish that really gave me that exotic feeling especially while eating with your hands. Give it a try!
Borani Banjan – Eggplant Baked in a Tangy Tomato Sauce
- 2 medium size Chinese eggplants cut in half lengthwise and then sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 medium tomatoes cut into slices
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup Greek style yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Turn on the broiler.
- Arrange the slices of eggplant on a cookie sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Broil on each side for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Set the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In a fry pan, heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the garlic over medium heat for two minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tsp salt, turmeric, curry powder, paprika, pepper, and tomato paste. Stir all together for another minute.
- Add the broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of the liquid into a 9x12 baking dish and spread across the bottom.
- Arrange ½ of the eggplant slices and tomato slices on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle half of the cilantro on top of the tomato slices.
- Pour over another 1/3 of the sauce.
- Repeat with another layer of eggplant, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Finish with the remaining liquid by pouring the rest over the top.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook another 5 minutes.
- Mix together the Greek yogurt and garlic salt.
- Serve with the Borani Banjan and Naan bread.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out the other authentic Afghan recipes listed below.
bolani – A stuffed flatbread
Kebab-e-murgh Chicken Kebab marinated in a yogurt cumin sauce.
Kabuli Pulao – Afghan rice dish made lamb, carrots, raisins and apricots.
Afghan Salata – cucumbers, tomatoes and onions with a light lemon dressing
Sheer Birinj – Rice pudding with almonds and cardamom
If you would like to learn more about the country be sure to check out “Our Journey to Afghanistan“