It is warm, rich and delicious. Many countries have something similar for good reason, it’s yummy! The best part is that this recipe can be made in one pot with a lid in the oven or in a crock pot.
This sheer birinj recipe is creamy and flavored with cardamom and cinnamon. Rice puddings are famous in many places in the world. We loved this recipe and especially the texture the slivered almonds added to the warm pudding.
This recipe is a one pot wonder and is best made with calrose rice. In Afghanistan they call it “fat rice” because it is a short grain that expands into little plump morsels of rice that are perfectly tender.
We enjoyed sheer birinj sometimes also spelled sher Berinj as our dessert for our amazing Afghanistan meal. We sat on the floor with cushions and enjoyed the entire meal Afghan style. We ate with our right hand although we did enjoy this dish with a spoon.
A creamy delight that is warm and flavorful. Sheer birinj would be especially delicious on a cold winter night when a little comfort is needed. Curl up with a good book in front of a fire and enjoy this easy to make recipe.
Do you love rice pudding? What is your favorite comfort food? Please leave me a comment below.
Sheer Birinj – Afghan Rice Pudding with Almonds and Cardamom
- ½ cup rice Calrose works best for this recipe
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Cinnamon for garnish
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Preheat oven or crock pot to 250 degrees
- Put all the ingredients except the cinnamon in the oven proof pot with a lid or in a crock pot.
- Stir well and cover
- Cook 1 hour
- Remove pot from oven or lid from crock and stir.
- Put back in oven and bake an additional 45 minutes.
- You want the rice to be tender and the consistency creamy.
- Be sure not to overcook!
- Remove from oven or turn off crock and let cool for a few minutes with the lid on.
- Serve with a little cinnamon garnish on top.
You may also enjoy learning a bit more about Afghanistan here is Our journey to Afghanistan
If you are looking for more Afghan recipes be sure to check out the other authentic Afghanistan recipes below.
bolani – A stuffed flatbread
Kebab-e-murgh Chicken Kebab marinated in a yogurt cumin sauce.
Kabuli Pulao – Afghan rice dish made lamb, carrots, raisins and apricots.
Borani Banjan – Eggplant baked in a tangy tomato sauce
Afghan Salata – cucumbers, tomatoes and onions with a light lemon dressing