Burundi Beans and Bananas honestly, I was absolutely surprised at how delicious this simple main dish was. It is both sweet and savory. You will love it as it is very hearty and delicious with the chapati bread and Burundi slaw. Add in your favorite seasonings, to make your own unique version. As always, adjust the chili to your heat tolerance.
Burundi Beans and Bananas
A surprisingly delicious combination of flavors, sweet and savory. You should try it!
- 1 lb. dried red kidney beans
- 4 green bananas or plantains
- 2 tablespoons palm oil
- 1 onion sliced
- Salt to taste
- Hot chili pepper to taste
- Soak the beans for at least 3 hours in plenty of water.
- Drain, place in pan, cover with plenty of water and boil for 40 minutes or until tender, Drain.
- Peel and chop the bananas then add the oil to a pan and brown the onions.
- Add in the beans and bananas to the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 4 cups of water and simmer until the beans are completely cooked and the liquid has reduced to about one cup.
- Serve Hot and Enjoy!
Calories: 673kcal | Carbohydrates: 129g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 21mg | Potassium: 2474mg | Fiber: 21g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 2015IU | Vitamin C: 40.1mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 8.7mg