Dutch Appeltaart, oh my!
This has to be my most favorite apple desserts of all time. I would describe it as somewhat between a pie and a cake and is just simply delicious.
It has quite a bit of butter in the dough, which may have a lot to do with it. It has sugar and a bit of lemon zest and of course apples with cinnamon and sugar.
Once in a while raisins and nuts are added. I made this one with just granny smith apples with simply cinnamon and sugar, and I have fallen in love.
An exquisite dessert and one I will make forever. I truly hope you try this one!
Dutch Appeltaart (Apple Pie)
Servings 1 tart
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 egg whisked
- For the filling:
- 6 tart apples like granny smiths peeled and cored and sliced int 1/4" slices
- 1/2 cup granulate sugar or more if you like it sweet.
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Putting the tart together:
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg whisked
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Butter a 9" spring form pan
- Prepare the dough
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt , and lemon zest.
- With the mixer running add in the butter and then te egg until it forms wet crumbs.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead together.
- Reserve 1/3 of the for the top of the tart
- Roll out the remaining dough into a large 16" round and if this doesn't work because it is falling apart simply press the dough into the buttered spring pan and work the dough up the sides.
- Put the apple slices into a bowl and add in the sugar and cinnamon and toss all together
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the bottom of the tart shell and then pour the apples inside.
- Roll out the remaining dough into a round.
- Once again the dough will break up just make chunks of dough around the top or if you can keep the dough together you can try to slice it with a pizza cutter and make a lattice design.
- Brush the top of the tart with the egg wash and then sprinkle on some granulated sugar.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours but check at around 1 hour. You want it to be tender and the juices bubbling.
- Cool completely in the pan.
- Take a knife around the edge of the spring form pan, then release it.
- Savor this apple delight!
Calories: 1861kcal | Carbohydrates: 406g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1368mg | Potassium: 454mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 102g | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 18.7mg