Egyptian Basbousa is a sweet semolina dessert that is like candy. It is very easy to make and simply delicious. I had to give it away or I would have eaten the whole batch. I was able to get the coarse semolina called Farina or sometimes called Semolina #2 at my local middle eastern market. The sugar syrup flavored with lemon and rosewater is awesome. Serve Egyptian Basbousa with some mint tea or coffee for a real treat.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
- 1.5 cup of coarse semolina.
- 1 cup of granulates white sugar
- 3/4 cup of finely shredded coconut.
- 1 cup of plain yogurt.
- 1/2 cup of butter.
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or a dash of vanilla powder.
- About 24 whole almonds
- For the syrup:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- 1 cup of water.
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees then melt the butter, let it cool to room temperature. Mix the yogurt and the sugar well then add the rest of the ingredients and mix them all very well.Instructions:
- Prepare your pan (a 13x9 pyrex dish or similar) by spraying it with cooking oil pour in the mixture you may top with almonds or other nuts of your choice and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- While your pan is in the oven prepare your syrup by adding the water to the sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat and when it dissolves stir in the lemon juice and rosewater and let it boil for 5 minutes then reduce heat and allow to simmer for another 20-25 minutes. The syrup should thicken a little when it cools down.
- While both the Basbousa and the syrup are hot, pour the syrup over the Basbousa and let it set for 15 minutes.
- Serve it with a cup of hot tea or coffee. Enjoy