Ema datshi is a spicy, cheesy bit of goodness, is also the national dish of Bhutan. You can adjust the types of chilies you use based on your heat tolerance. This would normally be made with yak cheese, however I could not find any, so I searched for alternatives and found that mixing a sheep feta with a gorgonzola makes for a pretty close replica, I understand. That was what I used and the dish was awesome, enjoy!
Ema Datshi - Chili n Cheese
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 200 grams green chilies cut in 1/2 use what ever chilies you like based on your heat tolerance I used a combination of anaheim, infernos and banana peppers.
- 2 cups water
- 50 grams yak cheese or combination of sheep feta and gorgonzola.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 200 grams white cheese I used sheep feta.
- In a wok heat up over the first five ingredients cover and bring to a boil
- Stir and add in the 50 grams of cheese combination simmer for 5 minutes
- Add in the remaining cheese, cook on medium until it melts, stirring constantly
- Serve with rice. Red rice is popular in Bhutan