This requires quite a few ingredients to make but it is well worth the effort. Yummy! This is served with just plain white rice and some raita, a delicious creamy cucumber and carrot salad to cool the palate from the spicy curry.
Did you know that Fiji gained its independence from England after 96 years of being a British colony? The Indian influence comes from Indians that brought over to work the sugar cane plantations. This influence makes for a wonderful fusion in the cuisine of Fiji.
If you would like to learn more be sure to check out “Our Journey to Fiji”. There you will also find more authentic and delicious recipes to serve with you lobster curry. Be sure to check out the Kokoda, Taro chips and Banana cake to name a few.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Fiji Lobster Curry
- 4 lobster Tails
- 1 medium onion – chopped into chunks
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 5 red chilies – or however much heat you like
- 2 inch piece of ginger peeled
- 1/ 4 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 4 cardamon pods
- 2 cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh curry leaves or 1 Teaspoon curry powder
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- 3 cups water – or enough to cover the lobster
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp. chili paste
- chopped cilantro for garnish – 1/4 cup
- Put the onion chunks, garlic, chilies and ginger into a food processor or mortar and pestle and grind together to form a paste and set aside.
- In a big pot add oil and heat it on med heat.
- Add cumin,fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cinnamon, cardamon and cloves, stir in hot oil for about 45 secs
- Add in the paste you set aside and stir well,
- Add curry leaves or powder at this time along with the turmeric.
- Add diced tomato and onions and reduce the flame to low, cover and let it simmer until tomatoes become soft and onions become translucent, Stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom
- Add 1/2 cup of water and let it cook until all the water evaporates and the oil starts to separate.
- Arrange the lobster tails and let it cook on medium flame for about 5 mins
- Add enough water to cover the lobster and cook on medium for another 10 mins
- Add 1 tsp of crushed ginger, garlic, chili paste
- Add 1/2 can of coconut milk and stir well, cook for another 4 mins
- check for spices (salt n chilies)
- Add chopped cilantro for garnish
- Serve with white rice and raita.