This red pepper dip called hmiss, is awesome, and makes a wonderful starter for any occasion. Pairing hmiss with Algerian crispy flat bread works beautifully. The sweetness of the roasted peppers with the tomatoes is a great flavor. Adding in the amount of hot pepper can easily be adjusted to your heat tolerance. This dip can be used on many things, you will love it.
If you are looking for more delicious and authentic recipes to go with your hmiss be sure to check out "Our Journey to Algeria". You will also find more information about the country too!
Did you know that Algeria is one of the debt free nations on the planet? Despite this fact nearly one in four Algerians live in poverty. Living on less than one dollar a day. It gets most of its money for its exportation of hydrocarbons. Algeria has 10 of the largest natural gas reserves in the world.Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Hmiss (Algerian Roasted Red Pepper Dip)
- 2 red bell peppers large
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes medium
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 or two hot chili peppers Jalapeno, Serrano, or your choice
- Salt to taste
- Place red bell peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet.
- Roast under the broiler about 8 minutes per side until the skin turns black.
- Once cool, peel the tomatoes and peppers, removing the core and seeds from the peppers
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the chili peppers and garlic.
- Stir frequently taking care not to let the garlic burn.
- Remove from heat.
- Place all the ingredient in a food processor or blender and mix to a coarse consistency.
- Add salt to taste and serve with Algerian flat bread.