Hungarian Cucumber salad made with sour cream is a light and refreshing side salad and very common in Hungary. This was served with the chicken Paprikash and little dumplings called nokedli. The combination was delicious. Enjoy this simple and lovely side salad sprinkled of course with some Hungarian paprika. It’s up to you if you like it sweet to hot.
Hungarian Cucumber Salad (Telfeles Uborkasalata)
- 4 medium cucumbers
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ teaspoon Hungarian hot or sweet paprika
- Slice cucumbers very thin using a mandolin
- Using a colander, put a layer of cucumber down and sprinkle some salt over the cucumbers.
- Continue until all the salt and cucumbers are in the colander.
- Put the colander in a large bowl and weigh down the cucumbers with something heavy.
- You will be extracting a large amount of water from the cucumbers so keep an eye that your bowl in large enough.
- Let them sit for about 1 hour.
- Remove the cucumbers squeezing them in your hand to release as much liquid as possible.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and drain well.
- Put the cucumbers back in the colander, weigh them down once more for about 15 minutes
- Combine all the remaining ingredients with the cucumbers except the paprika, mix well.
- Put in a serving dish and sprinkle with some good Hungarian hot or sweet paprika
- Chill for a minimum of two hours.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of dill.