Jamaican coconut rice is a true staple food. The addition of coconut milk while simmering the rice makes for a true tropical delight. This rice can be made with either red beans or pigeon peas to be authentic. It is served as side dish with everything, fish, chicken, goat etc. I served it alongside the famous jerk chicken and it was delicious!
Jamaican Coconut Rice
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 can kidney beans or pigeon peas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat and add garlic, onions and thyme, saute for about 2 minutes taking care to not burn the garlic.
- Add the beans, water, coconut milk to the pan, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add in the rice and salt and cover
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Serve warm