Latvian cranberry mousse called debesmanna is a simple to make, lovely dessert. It is tart and light, thanks to whipping up farina or cream of wheat into a mousse. It does take about 1o minutes to get it to the proper texture, but your stand mixer can do the work for you. Berries are popular in Latvia as they love to forage for them in their forested land. I used unsweetened cranberry juice for this recipe but really any flavor of berry juice could be used. It is served with milk or cream poured over it. Enjoy!
Latvian Cranberry Mousse (Debesmanna)
- 1 1/2 cups cranberry juice unsweetened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cream of wheat or farina
- 1 cup of milk for pouring over the top optional
- Bring juice and sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat
- Whisk in the cream of wheat or farina, reduce the heat to low whisking constantly until thickened.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl in your stand mixer and whisk on medium high until it doubles in volume, this takes about 10 minutes. You can use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer.
- Serve in cups or bowls and garnish with a few berries and serve with milk to pour over the top.