Liechtensteiner applesauce called apfelmus is always served alongside the national dish called Kasknofle. It is really easy to make homemade applesauce and it is definitely worth it. You can choose the sweetness or tartness you like based on the type of apple you choose. I used fuji apples because I like the sweetness. You can also regulate the amount of sugar you add as well. This applesauce is cooked with a bit of cinnamon and a half of a lemon to keep it from turning brown. Enjoy!
Liechtensteiner Applesauce (Apfelmus)
- 2 lbs Apples any kind you like I used 4 fuji apples
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- sugar to taste
- Peel and core your apples and cut into about 1 inch chunks
- Put them in a a pot with the apples, half a lemon and the stick of cinnamon
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cover
- Check after about 30 minutes but cook until tender
- Once cooked, remove the lemon and cinnamon stick
- Mash the apples with a fork or potato masher
- Add any sugar to taste if desired.
- Put in a bowl to cool.
- Put in refrigerator until ready to use