Liechtensteiner Pfannkuchen are pancakes filled with compote and then topped with berries. It is a wonderful sweet treat and a lovely ending to our meal. This dish would also be fantastic for a breakfast treat as well as dessert. The batter is quick and easy to make. It is easiest to use a ladle to put the batter in the pan, that way you get the same size pancakes to make the layers. Of course you can use any flavor of compote you like best, I used raspberry preserve. Blueberries and strawberries straight from our International Cuisine garden were used for the topping. YUMMY!
Liechtensteiner Tatsch or Kratzete (Pancakes with Compote and Berries)
- For the batter
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- For the Filling:
- fruit jam or preserves of your choice I used raspberry preserve
- Fruit of your choice for topping I used blueberries and strawberries
- Fresh mint leaves
- Mix the flour and salt together
- whisk the eggs in a bowl and add int eh sugar and milk
- slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until very smooth
- Lightly grease a non-stick pan and wait until the oil get hot.
- Ladle in a a thin layer of batter
- When one side is done, approx a minute or two, flip it. You can use a spatula if needed.
- Once the second side is cooked , slide it onto a plate.
- spread the preserve over the pancake
- Repeat until you have three pancakes. It is not necessary to put preserves on the top layer.
- Garnish the top layer with berries of your choice and a fresh sprig of mint