Maldivian flat bread made with potato and fish is called mas aluvi roshi. I love Indian flat bread and this was a delicious way to enjoy it. This bread can be made rolled out flat or in rounds and stuffed with the potato and fish filling. I made ours rolled out flat and to be honest it was a little tricky but the end result was excellent. I loved these and would enjoy them for a light lunch on their own anytime. In the Maldives these would be made with smoked tuna called tuna valhoa mas alternatively a can of tuna can be used which is how I made ours. Enjoy!
Maldivian Flat bread (Mas Aluvi Roshi)
- For the dough
- 2 cups plain all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water +/-
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- For the filling
- 2 medium potatoes peeled, boiled and mashed
- 1 can tuna drained
- 1/2 onion chopped finely
- 12 curry leaves chopped finely
- 3 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- For the dough:
- In a bowl put the flour, salt and oil
- start adding the water a little at a time and start kneading the dough.
- Make into a semi soft dough adding water as necessary until the desired texture
- Divide the dough into 10 balls
- Set aside
- For the filling:
- Mix together the onion, salt, curry leaf, pepper and green chilies, add in the mashed potato and drained tuna. Mix thoroughly.
- To prepare the roshi
- Take a piece of the prepared dough and make a dent.
- Stuff with about a tablespoon of the filling and close it to make a round ball
- Dust the ball with flour and roll out into a flat bread, use additional flour as necessary
- Heat a pan and put in the roshi adding a touch of oil to each side of the roshi.
- Cook until lightly browned.
- Serve hot