Maldivian sweetened condensed milk cake makes for a lovely dessert and was how we ended our Maldivian feast. The Islands have to import food items as not too much grows there. This cake made with canned sweetened condensed milk is called gerikiru boakibaa. It is a very simple quick and easy recipe that comes out surprisingly moist and delicious. Dust the top with some powdered sugar for a little added sweetness, it would also be lovely with any type of fruit as a topping.
Maldivian Sweetened Condensed Milk Cake (Gerikiru Boakibaa)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 395g
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- powdered sugar for dusting the top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a cake tin about 9 inches
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat well until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour the batter in the cake pan
- Put in the oven and check at about 20 minutes, the cake will rise and if you put a toothpick in the middle it should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before removing from the pan.
- Remove the cake and dust with powdered sugar.