Maldivian egg rolls called bikseemiyaa make a scrumptious appetizer. This treats were a real surprise. They are often made with tuna as well. This version was simply a hard boiled egg with some shredded cabbage, onion, curry leaves and a hot green chili. They are wrapped up in an egg roll wrapper and deep fried. We devoured them and I have made them several times since. A quick and easy appetizer that is a guaranteed winner.
Maldivian Egg Rolls (Biskeemiyaa)
- 1 hard boiled egg chopped
- 1 green chili minced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 4 curry leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- egg roll wrappers
- oil for frying
- In a bowl mix together all the ingredients except the egg roll wrappers.
- put a egg roll wrapper on your surface with a little water to seal the edges
- fill the cabbage mixture into the wrapper fold the two right and left sides into the middle and then roll it up.
- Seal the edge with a little water
- Put the egg rolls into your deep fryer or frying pan at 375 degrees and fry until golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil and let drain on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Slice in half on the diagonal and serve hot.