Maldivian vegetable curry called tharukaaree riha showcases the cuisine of the Maldives. There is a big Indian and Sri Lanka influence on the Islands and curries of all types are loved there. They can be made with fish, chicken or this vegetarian version. The beautiful color is derived from the use of turmeric a healthful spice used often in curry. It has just a bit of heat with the use of a green chili and deliciously flavored with pandan leaf and curry leaves. Serve with some white rice. Enjoy!
Maldivian Vegetable Curry (Tharukaaree Riha)
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup pumpkin cut into cubes
- 1 cup green beans cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup carrots peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 green chili minced
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 pandan leaf tied in a knot
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 " ginger sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- salt to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a large stock pot on high heat and bring to a boil
- reduce heat to a simmer until vegetables are tender and the gravy gets thick around 20 mins.
- Remove the pandan leaf and serve with white rice.