Mealie bread aka corn bread, is a staple in many African countries, as it is in the tiny little country of eSwatini, formerly known as Swaziland. We enjoyed this comforting bread drizzled with honey as our dessert.
This Mealie bread was made with whole corn kernels and it truly made a tender and delicious bread. Corn bread is often dry but that was not the case with this recipe. It is super easy to make especially if you use frozen corn but of course you can use fresh as well. Subsistence farming is commonplace in eSwatini, many people grow their own vegetables including corn, and the ground corn is used in many dishes.
I also used a cute little honey twizzler in the shape of a beehive. Did you know that the beehive is the shape of the homestead huts in eSwatini? It is made with thatched dry grasses and several huts can be seen within the homestead. Did you know that polygamy is legal in this small country? Each wife gets her own beehive hut. They also have separate huts for food storage, cooking and brewing.
If you would like to learn more about this little country be sure to check out "Our Journey to eSwatini" there you will also find more authentic recipes like ostrich in cream sauce, slaai and pumpkin pap.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Mealie Bread aka Corn Bread
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- honey to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a small loaf pan.
- Blend 1 cup of corn, the eggs, and melted butter together until a coarse mixture forms.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of corn and pulse the mixture one or two more times. Leave many kernels whole.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Using a large spoon, combine the dry ingredients with corn mixture until a thick mixture forms.
- Pour the mixture into the grease loaf pan and bake 30-35 minutes
- Let cool for about 15 minutes and then slice and serve with honey.
This looks so good! I didn't know cornbread was so simple... I am going to bake this asap!