Namibian Pap and fried cabbage is a staple food.
Pap is considered to be the national dish of Namibia. It gets its name form the Dutch and means porridge.
It is made from cornmeal which typically comes from white corn or millet depending on the region. It is served alongside everything you eat in Namibia.
It is the cornerstone, lots of carbohydrates to make you full and it is served alongside sauces, meats, fish and vegetables.
In this case we made a super quick and easy fried cabbage dish, it was tasty with caramelized onions, with some garlic, ginger and a touch of turmeric.
We enjoyed these two dishes alongside the homemade sausage called Boerewors.
It made for a lovely Namibian meal.
Typically you eat the pap by taking a piece only with your right hand. Using your thumb to make an impression to grab some fried cabbage and any juices in the dish and enjoy.
It takes a little practice but it is kind of fun once you get the hang of it.
Namibian Pap and Fried Cabbage
- For the pap
- 3 1/2 cups water divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups of white fine cornmeal
- For the fried cabbage
- 1 head of green cabbage chopped
- 1/2 large white onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 inches ginger peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- For the Pap
- Combine 2 1/2 cups of water and the salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Mix the cornmeal with the remaining 1 cup of water in a small bowl
- Add the corn meal mixture slowly to boiling water stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and continue stirring.
- Cook for a minimum of 5 minutes or until the mixture is nice and thick.
- to make the mound put the pap into a bowl and turn it over serve alongside the fried cabbage
- For the fried cabbage:
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan
- Add in the onions and saute over medium to low heat until caramelized.
- Add in the garlic and stir for another minute
- Add in the ginger and turmeric. Stir for another minute
- If needed add a little bit of oil if it seems dry.
- Add the lime juice, cabbage and salt to taste.
- Cook until the cabbage is cooked but retains a bit of crunch
- Serve alongside pap.