Shopska salad named after the Shoppi, the natives of the Sofia region, is by far Bulgaria’s most popular salad.
It is common for Bulgarians to start their lunch and dinner meals with a salad.
This recipe calls for a special type of cheese found there called Sirene, however you can always substitute a good Greek feta.
Shopska Salad (Bulgaria’s most famous salad)
- 1 large cucumber sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 roasted marinated or fresh green peppers, sliced
- 2 scallions or ½ Red onion sliced
- 4 tablespoons grated Bulgarian sirene or Greek feta crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Combine all the prepared vegetables into a salad bowl.
Prepare the dressing by whisking the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper together.
Dress the vegetables by tossing lightly with the dressing.
Top the salad with the cheese.
Garnish with the chopped parsley.
Note: This is often times served with Rakia the National drink of Bulgaria which is commonly served as an aperitif.