South Korean Jap-Chae pronounced "chap-chae", is a delicious glass noodle dish made with sweet potato starch. The dish includes lots of vegetables and typically made with thin slices of rib-eye that can be found at your local Asian grocery store along with the special noodles. Of course if you want to make the dish vegetarian just leave out the meat. South Koreans love sweet potato in many forms and this dish is a good reason why. This South Korean Jap-Chae has become a new family favorite. It can easily be made Plant Paradox friendly by using grass fed meat and coconut aminos instead of soy. Enjoy!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
South Korean Jap-Chae (Sweet Potato Noodle Dish)
- 1/2 package Sweet potato noodles package is 1.1 lbs
- 5 dried shitake mushrooms or fresh if you can find them sliced
- 1/2 lb. Rib Eye sliced very thinly
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 green pepper sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For garnish
- sesame seeds
- 1 green onion sliced diagonally
- In a pot of boiling water cook the noodles for about 7 minutes, immediately drain and rinse with cold water, set aside.
- Soak the dried mushrooms for about an hour unless using fresh, heat vegetable oil in a skillet. Add the mushrooms, sliced rib-eye garlic and 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and saute until the beef is cooked. (set aside)
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet, add the onion, carrot and pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, beef mixture, onion mixture and the sauce.
- Serve warm, garnish with sesame seeds and green onion slices if desired.