Yassa or poulet yassa is succulent braised chicken with lemon and caramelized onions. It is a dish loved all over the world and one of West Africa’s most famous. It is for good reason, it is delicious and a perfect main course for any special occasion. Usually the chicken Yassa is served with white rice. For the best results marinade the chicken overnight to get that delicious citrus spicy onion flavor.
Yassa or Poulet Yassa
- 1 Chicken cut into pieces or 6-8 chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 6 large onions~sliced
- 2 tablespoon full of Dijon mustard
- 3 heads of garlic Optional
- 1 cup of red vinegar
- 2 fresh chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon of dried chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 3 maggie cubes or bullion
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 lemons or limes
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil
- Pat chicken pieces dry them with a paper towel
- Now score the chicken and set aside for later.
- In a large cooking-pot, mix the onions, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, bay leaf, mustard, vinegar and chilies..
- Now add the chicken pieces, mix all together
- Let the chicken marinate for at least one hour. (For the best results, keep the chicken marinating in the fridge overnight).
- Before any cooking, remove the chicken pieces from the marinade; and, grill, over charcoal, until done on both sides.
- Remove the onions from the marinade; sauté gently in a little oil until soft and brown
- Add the marinade and cook for five minutes
- To this, add the chicken pieces and half a cup of water.
- Cover with lid and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the chicken is properly cooked; adding the Maggie cubes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with white rice