This West African salad called Saludu Nebbe is made with black eyed peas and is wonderful. I will definitely be adding this recipe to my favorites list. This was a perfect side dish for our West African meal but it easily would make a wonderful lunch or dinner by just serving it over rice. The mix of flavors is light and refreshing. Please make sure to plan ahead when making this recipe as the beans need to soak overnight and then be cooked. Enjoy!
West African Salad called Saludu Nebbe
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice about 2½ limes, juiced
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup olive oil or canola oil
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas follow package ingredients you need to soak the beans overnight for best texture and then cook them so you need to plan ahead
- 5 scallions roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium cucumber seeded and finely chopped
- 2 serrano peppers or 1 habanero or Scotch bonnet chile stemmed, seeded, and minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, mix together the lime juice and parsley. Continue mixing as you slowly drizzle in the olive oil to make a smooth dressing.
Add the black-eyed peas, scallions, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, and minced pepper to the bowl. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and use a big spoon to toss the salad. Cover and set aside at room temperature for at least 1 hour, or refrigerate up to overnight. Serve chilled or at room temperature.