Zanzibar mango chutney is a common condiment. The chutney is served like ketchup is with fries. A little bit to dip your chapati in, or especially your coconut crusted fish, yum. This is a simple recipe and it just takes a few minutes to whip up. The recipe calls for green mango which is simply an unripe mango. Of course, it is spiced up with the amazing spices for which the Island is famous.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Zanzibar Mango Chutney
- 1 green mango unripe mango, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 small red onion cut into pieces
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a sauce pan add a tablespoon of oil and over medium high heat add in the chopped mango and onion.
- In a mortar and pestle mix together the ginger, garlic and cumin until a paste forms
- Add it in the pot along with the cinnamon stick and tomato paste.
- Add a little bit of water to soften the mixture and let simmer stirring occasionally until done.