Zrazy is what they call this rolled beef with porcini mushrooms, hard boiled egg and cornichon dish. Truly a delicious combination of flavors. Thank you Belarus, I will make this recipe many more times it was amazing! Oh and with those yummy potato pancakes……. Awesome
Belarus Rolled Stuffed Beef - Zrazy
- 1 lb of beef thin sliced chuck or similar
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- ½ white diced onion
- 2 hard- boiled egg
- ½ cup rye bread crumbs
- 2-4 Tablespoons pork fat
- Salt and pepper to season
- Soak the mushrooms in 1 cup of water for 1-2 hours.
- Remove mushrooms and slice, retain the water for use in the broth.
- Fry the mushrooms and chopped onion together in a fry pan, add the bread crumbs and continue to fry for just a few minutes.
- Put the meat slices between two pieces of plastic wrap and use a mallet to flatten each piece into about a 2- 3 inch wide and 4-5 inch long piece of beef.
- Remove the wrap and season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Put the mushroom and onion filling in a thin layer on each slice of meat and add 1 cornichon or sweet pickle and ¼ of a hard- boiled egg.
- Roll the meat slices and secure with a skewer.
- Fry the rolled beef in the pork fat over high heat to sear on all sides.
- Pour in the water that you retained from soaking the mushrooms and stew on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the beef rolls and thicken the sauce with a little flour, add back in the zrazy and cook for another 10- 15 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the skewers and serve with stewed vegetables and Draniki.