Bajan Chicken is a wonderful main dish. It is seasoned with that special blend called Bajan seasoning. It makes for a delicious and juicy baked chicken. It is said that the aroma of this chicken dish is a common scent on a lazy Sunday afternoon on that beautiful Island paradise called Barbados. Pair it with some corn pie and pickled cucumbers for a lovely meal.
Baked Bajan Chicken
- 1 whole chicken seasoned with salt
- 3 medium onions sliced
- 5 garlic cloves sliced
- Fresh thyme a few sprigs
- Fresh chives a few sprigs
- 5 tablespoons Bajan Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup Bajan rum
- 1 Tablespoon lemon seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Smear the Bajan seasoning inside and under the skin of the chicken.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with the sliced onions.
- Put the chicken stock in the roasting pan.
- Paint the chicken with the melted butter and place the chicken on top of the onions, breast side up.
- Place the sliced garlic and herbs on the chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper and lemon seasoning.
- After one hour remove the herbs and garlic from the top and place in the liquid.
- After 30 more minutes, remove the chicken, turn it over and sprinkle with salt, pepper, lemon seasoning and the rum.
- Return to the oven and reduce heat to 375 degrees.
- Cook for approximately one more hour, basting every 20 minutes with the pan liquid and until the chicken reaches and internal temperature of about 165 degrees.
- Serve with corn pie and pickled cucumbers!