Bhutan pickles is an easy recipe. Enjoy this fun side dish that is both sweet, hot and refreshing, make a week ahead of your Bhutanese meal. I love the flavor that the rice vinegar adds to these pickles, you will too.
- 2 cucumbers sliced longitudinally
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns crushed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds crushed
- 4 hot chili peppers Thai fresh or dried work well chopped finely
- Salt cucumbers and set aside for a couple hours
- Warm the ice vinegar and water in a saucepan, stir in the sugar until dissolved
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Transfer the cucumbers into a sealable container, a mason far works well for this.
- Add in the crushed peppercorns, cumin and coriander seeds along with the diced chilies.
- Pour over the sweetened vinegar to cover.
- Close container and shake well.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for one week