These Bahamian treats called Johnny Cakes are in-between corn bread and a biscuit. They are delicious and served with chicken souse or stewed fish. It is best served warm with butter and preserves or it is sometimes eaten with cheddar cheese for breakfast or a snack. Use them to sop up just about any broth. A true Bahamian comfort food.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- Combine the dry ingredients and cut in the butter until pea sized.
- Add milk
- Knead until smooth
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes
- Put into a greased 8-9” square or round pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes
- Remove and brush with milk… cook 5 more minutes Enjoy!